Oxygen is the most beneficial element for our lungs and it's important we keep the air around us as clean and pure as possible. For decades, popular air fresheners have been sold to the mass markert that contains chemical that do not remove the odor molecules, but instead, covers them up. That means, the smell you're trying to eliminate is still there, but the chemical fragrance of the product you've sprayed is simply more powerful than the odor. As a result, you're breathing in both the odor and a chemical substance into your lungs.
A study called the “Clearing the Air: Hidden Hazards of Air Fresheners” from the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), which is an international environmental organization, stated that “The fresh scent of air fresheners may mask a health threat—chemicals called phthalates that can cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects, and reproductive problems. NRDC’s independent testing discovered phthalates in 86 percent (12 of 14) of air freshener products tested."
Below is a guide for you to use to identify how to avoid harming your lungs so you can protect you and your family from the harmful side effects of chemical hidden in popular air freshener products:
Avoid Air Fresheners if they contain the following toxic ingredients:
- Odor Eliminator (unknown chemical ingredients)
- Aerosol Propellant (known to increased cancer risk, respiratory problems)
- Benzisothiazolinone (known to cause skin irritation/allergies/damage, acute aquatic toxicity)
- Formaldehyde (known to cause watery eyes, nausea, asthma)
- Fragrance (known to cause skin irritation/allergies/damage, acute aquatic toxicity, nervous system effects, and respiratory effects)
- Non-Flammable Propellant (unknown chemical ingredients)
- Paradichlorobenzene (known to cause anemia, skin lesions, liver damage)
- Phthalates (developmental & reproductive toxic chemical)
- Petroleum Distillates (known to cause asthma, pneumonia, pulmonary damage, respiratory problems)
- Sodium Phosphate (known to increase risk for cardiovascular & coronary artery disease)
- Quality Control Agents (unknown chemical ingredients)
- Quaternium-10 (known to cause organ & respiratory problems)
Hidden Air Freshener Ingredients
A report from the Women’s Voices of the Earth, an organization dedicated to eliminating toxic chemicals from products, commissioned an independent laboratory to test 20 popular air fresheners and cleaning products. They discovered hidden toxic chemicals manufactured by the top 5 companies who kept their ingredients a secret. Their results revealed some products contained reproductive toxins, allergens, and chemicals such as toluene, phthalates, and 4-dioxane not listed on the product label.
The NRDC also tested 14 of the most popular air fresheners in the U.S. market and discovered 86% of air fresheners tested contained dangerous phthalates. A chart from their report shows 10 out of 14 products did not list ingredients in their labeling.
If you feel this articles was useful and informatiove, please share it using our social media buttons. Thank you. - The Healing Tree Family